Legal Update I
2018 – 2019
The purpose of this course is to address the regulatory aspects of some of the many legal updates that have occurred in the Texas real estate industry. This course provides an understanding and working knowledge of a license holder's responsibilities and obligations related to rule changes, leasing and property management, sales transactions, contracts and addenda forms, and current hot topics. This course sets out specific requirements and best practices.
After completing this course participants will be able to:
- Recognize the role of TREC, and describe how the rules and regulations must be implemented in the practice of real estate in Texas.
- Summarize general and specific leasing property management best practices.
- Discuss the legislative changes and disclosure regulations surrounding buyers, landlords, tenants, and sellers.
- Understand the changes to the promulgated contract and addendum forms.
- Describe the issues surrounding unescorted access to vacant rental property, ADA compliant websites and FIRPTA.
Chapter 1: Statute & Rules Update
- Statutory Changes
- TREC Rule Changes
- Proposed TREC Rule Changes
Chapter 2: Leasing
- Legislative Summary
- A Real Estate Agent in Texas Cannot Represent No One…
- What is a Lease Listing Agent v. a Leasing Agent?
- Residential Leasing or Commercial Leasing?
- What is the Landlord Looking For?
- Considering the Applications and the Applicants
- Fair Housing
Chapter 3: Property Management
- Inexperienced Agents Performing Duties of a Property Manager
- Trust Accounts
- Fair Housing Issues
- It’s Always Something…
- TREC FAQs
Chapter 4: Sales Transactions
- Seller’s Disclosure
- Court Cases
Chapter 5: Promulgated Contract & Addendum Forms
- Summary of Changes Made in 2017 to the TREC Contract Forms
- New Addenda
- Condominium Contract & Addendum (review of differences from 1-4 Family Residential Contract)
- Farm & Ranch (review of differences from 1-4 residential contract)
- Broker Information and Agreement for Payment of Brokers’ Fees
- MLS System Differences
- Court Cases
Chapter 6: Hot Topics
- Unescorted Access to Vacant Rental Property
- ADA Compliant Websites
- Foreign Investment in Real Property Tax Act (FIRPTA)
Appendix A: Bills from the 85th Legislative Session that Impact Property Management
Appendix B: Residential Condominium Contract (Resale) and Farm and Ranch Contract
Course instructors will be available by email or telephone between 9am and 5pm Eastern Standard Time. They will assist you with questions regarding course content.
If you have any questions, please call us at 1-800-727-7104 or send an email to email@example.com. Email responses will usually be returned promptly, but guaranteed within one business day.
Student policies and procedures are always available by going to our website and scrolling to the bottom of the page (See Attendance, Privacy and Refund Policy).