Millennial Home Buyers: What They Really Want
Published on July 23, 2019 by Kaylee
Millennials love analyzing and making very informed decisions about everything in their life, given the Internet has made this process quite easy.
They have different expectations for their lives and look for uniqueness in all aspects. The majority of real estate markets nowadays consist of a large number of millennial home buyers. In 2018, Millennials were responsible for 1/3 of all home purchases. Millennials will continue to drive the market, especially as they become more financially stable.
It’s important to understand what features home buyers are looking for in a home and to know how to make sure those features are being showcased, especially when targeting Millennial home buyers. Here are the top 4 selling points Millennials are looking for in their home.
- Walkable location and accessible amenities
- Proximity to work and play options are high priorities to this group. Contrary to popular belief though, Millennials are targeting suburban communities with a short drive to a big city for social interaction.
- Move-In-Ready, Single Family Homes
- Millennials are eager to swap their rental apartments for single family homes. Homes that require little maintenance appeal to this market so that they may spend weekends relaxing instead of completing repairs & maintenance.
- Energy Efficiency & Technology:
- Millennial home buyers want to have complete control over their systems. This generation will pay more for automated or voice-activated devices like HVAC systems and appliances.
- Fancy Outdoor Space:
- Weekend entertainment is especially important to this generation. As such, must-haves include fenced-in backyards, patio areas and outdoor cooking areas. Millennial buyers want to create a relaxing outdoor retreat.
It is important to understand what Millennial buyers, those born between approximately 1980-1995, want in their next home. Location, community amenities and energy – efficient features all factor into their buying decisions. Since they make up such a large portion of today’s potential home buyers, it’s vital you understand the above things they are looking for when shopping for home. Homeowners and real estate agents who understand these things and who know how to highlight them greatly improve their chances of a quick and profitable sale.