NEW JERSEY REAL ESTATE LICENSE RENEWAL REQUIREMENTS
Renewal Cycle: 2 Years
Renewal Deadline: June 30, 2019
CE Requirement: 12 hours
Required Courses: 6 hours of Core including 2 hours of Ethics
Individuals licensed in the 2nd year of the license term do not have to complete continuing education for that cycle.
Individuals licensed in the 1st year of the license term MUST complete continuing education requirements.
NEW JERSEY REAL ESTATE RENEWAL FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
What courses are approved for Core and Elective continuing education credits?
- Legal Issues (i.e. listing agreements, contracts, leases, attorney review)
- Ethics (2 Ethics credits mandatory)
- Fair Housing and New Jersey Law Against Discrimination
- New Jersey Real Estate Broker and Salesperson Statues and Regulations
- State and Federal Environmental Laws/Regulations Pertaining to Real Estate
- Legal Requirements regarding Escrow Monies and Financial Record-keeping
- Commercial Real Estate
- Property Management
- Seasonal Rentals
- Real Estate Sales Full Disclosure Act and Real Estate Timeshare Act
- Real Estate Valuation
- Foreclosure and Short-Sale Transactions
- Specific Aspects of Residential Real Estate Transactions
How Much Does It Cost to Renew My New Jersey Real Estate License?
What happens if my New Jersey real estate continuing education is completed after June 30?
You will incur a $200 late fee and your license will become inactive
How do I transfer my New Jersey salesperson license to another broker?
How can a New Jersey salesperson become a New Jersey broker?
- Be a licensed salesperson working full time for 3 full years immediately preceding application
- Complete 150 hours of broker prelicensure education
- The 90-hour broker general course must be completed 1st
- The 30-hour Agency. Ethics course and the 30-hour office management/related topics course may be taken in any order.
- Submit your prelicensing course certificates & experience activity reports completed by the brokers you have worked for during the past 3 years.
- Pay a $25 processing fee
How do I obtain my New Jersey real estate license certification or license history?
Submit a written request to the New Jersey Real Estate Commission. You must submit a fee of $25 for current certification of licensure or a check for $50 fo license histories (payment must be cashier's check or money order, payable to Treasurer, State of New Jersey)
New Jersey Real Estate Commission
PO Box 328
Trenton, New Jersey 08625-0328
How long can my New Jersey real estate license be inactive?
Your license can be inactive for 2 years after expiration
How do I reinstate an expired license?
To reinstate your license your broker must complete an application for reinstatement.
Does New Jersey Have Reciprocity with Any Other State?
New Jersey does not accept reciprocity with other states.
Who Submits my Completed New Jersey Continued Education?
Real Estate Training Institute will submit the completed course within 10 business days.
Are you approved by the state?
Yes! Approval numbers are listed next to course titles.
NEW JERSEY REAL ESTATE INITIAL LICENSING
How do I obtain a New Jersey real estate license?
- Complete 75 hours of approved real estate education
- Register for your exam, administered by PSI: 1-800-733-9267
- Complete the state required fingerprinting
- Obtain a sponsoring broker
- Submit your application for licensure to the Licensing Services Bureau, Real Estate along with your license fee
- Salesperson: $160
- Broker: $270
How soon after passing the New Jersey real estate exam should I apply for my initial license?
Applicants must apply for their license within one year from completing the 75-hour pre-licensing course.
NJ Department of Banking and Insurance
20 West State Street
PO Box 325
Trenton, NJ 08625
Licensing Resources: New Jersey – Frequently Asked Questions