Renewal Cycle: 2 Years
Renewal Deadline: June 30th
CE Requirement: 12 hours
Required Courses: 6 hours of Core including 2 hours of Ethics
Individuals licensed in the 2nd year of the license term do not have to complete continuing education for that cycle.
Individuals licensed in the 1st year of the license term MUST complete continuing education requirements.
Frequently Asked Questions
How Do I Renew My New Jersey Real Estate License?
- Answer qualifying questions.
- Complete online application.
How Much Does It Cost to Renew My New Jersey Real Estate License?
- Salesperson: $150
- Broker: $250
What happens if my New Jersey real estate continuing education is completed after June 30?
You will incur a $200 late fee and your license will become inactive
How do I transfer my New Jersey salesperson license to another broker?
- Transfer your license to inactive status by submitting a formal letter of resignation to your broker and have your broker inactivate your license online.
- Transfer your license electronically or by paper. You will have to pay a $25 fee.
NOTE: Paper transfer will take longer than electronic transfers.
How can a New Jersey salesperson become a New Jersey broker?
- Be a licensed salesperson working full time for 3 full years immediately preceding application
- Complete 150 hours of broker prelicensure education
- The 90-hour broker general course must be completed first
- The 30-hour Agency/Ethics course and the 30-hour office management/related topics course may be taken in any order.
- Submit your prelicensing course certificates & experience activity reports completed by the brokers you have worked for during the past 3 years.
- Pay a $25 processing fee
How do I obtain my New Jersey real estate license certification or license history?
Submit a written request to the New Jersey Real Estate Commission. You must submit a fee of $25 for current certification of licensure or a check of $50 for license histories (payment must be cashier's check or money order, payable to Treasurer, State of New Jersey)
New Jersey Real Estate Commission
PO Box 328
Trenton, New Jersey 08625-0328
How long can my New Jersey real estate license be inactive?
Your license can be inactive for 2 years after expiration
How do I reinstate an expired license?
To reinstate your license your broker must complete an application for reinstatement.
Does New Jersey Have Reciprocity with Any Other State?
New Jersey does not accept reciprocity with other states.
How do I obtain a New Jersey real estate license?
- Complete 75 hours of approved real estate education
- Register for your exam, administered by PSI: 1-800-733-9267
- Complete the state required fingerprinting
- Obtain a sponsoring broker
- Submit your application for licensure to the Licensing Services Bureau, Real Estate along with your license fee
- Salesperson: $160
- Broker: $270
How soon after passing the New Jersey real estate exam should I apply for my initial license?
Applicants must apply for their license within one year from completing the 75-hour pre-licensing course.
NJ Department of Banking and Insurance
20 West State Street
PO Box 325
Trenton, NJ 08625